Prevent Electrical Fires in Australia 2022

Description: flame illustration

Electrical fires are largely preventable. A few simple steps in your home or business can protect you from the risk of electrical fires.

Most electrical fires are caused by old or outdated appliances, faulty or overloaded electrical outlets and old or faulty wiring. They start when the appliance or the faulty wire overheats and catches fire. Being aware of electrical safety in your home and business and taking steps to ensure you have a safe electrical environment will greatly reduce your risk of having an electrical fire. Here are 10 tips to help you minimize the risk of electrical fires in your home or business. PAT Testing also very important.

#1 Don’t overload power boards

Never plug double adapters, extension leads or additional power boards into a power board as you’ll overload the board leading to an increased risk of electrical fire. There are some companies in Melbourne try Test and tag Melbourne

Power boards aren’t meant to take more appliances than the number of sockets on the board and you should be careful not to plug high powered electrical appliances like heaters into a power board or an extension cord.

#2 Don’t overload power outlets

In a similar vein, don’t overload the power outlets in your home or business. Be careful to minimize the use of double adapters and never plug a power board into a double adapter that is plugged into a power outlet. Overloading power outlets can cause heat to build up which can start an electrical fire.

#3 Never cover cables or outlets

Never run a cable beneath a rug or carpet or have a power outlet that can’t be easily reached and isn’t easily visible. Damage to electrical appliances can easily happen out of sight and a frayed cord beneath a rug is an accident waiting to happen, because the cord can heat up out of sight, and a fire can quickly spread fueled by the flammable material of the rug or carpet. Similarly, an overload power socket behind a cupboard is dicing with danger. It’s in a confined space, overloaded and therefore more susceptible to heating up and causing an electrical fire.

#4 Don’t leave appliances plugged in that you’re not using

If an appliance isn’t in use, unplug it. Leaving a rarely used appliance plugged in and turned on isn’t only a waste of electricity, it’s also greatly increasing your risk of an electrical fire.

#5 Dispose of old or damaged appliances

Don’t keep that old kettle for ‘when you might need it’. If it’s out of date, get rid of it. Outdated appliances are one of the most common causes for an electrical fire. If it looks like it’s past its prime, the plastic’s discolored and you know it’s been around for years, replace it with a newer model.

#6 Never use an appliance with a frayed or damaged cord or plug

No matter how new an appliance is, if it has a frayed or damaged cord or plug, it has to go. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that you can patch the cord with duct tape. Frayed and damaged cords can easily heat up and cause an electrical fire and can also burn you if you touch them.

#7 Maintain all your appliances in good condition

Keep on top of your appliances and maintain them in good condition. Put them away when you’re not using them, wind up the cords neatly and generally look after them – it’s an easy way to minimize the risk of them getting damaged and causing an electrical problem.

#8 Don’t operate appliances on flammable surfaces

It’s easy to forget that your electrical appliances can heat up easily. Don’t leave your laptop operating on a flammable surface or charge your phone on a surface that can burn easily. The same goes for other appliances like hairdryers which retain heat after you’ve used them. Don’t ever cover your electrical heater with anything — dry that towel by hanging it up away from the heater not draping it over the appliance.

Description: white and black audio mixer

#9 Check your circuits and wiring

Old wiring is a major cause of electrical fires. If you live or work in an old building, get your wiring checked by a registered electrician. But, regardless of how old your home or building is, it’s advisable to get your electrical circuits and safety switches regularly tested. Jim’s Test & Tag conduct electrical fault loop testing and safety switch testing to check that these are all working correctly.

#10 Test and tag all appliances in your business

One of the most important things you can do to prevent electrical fires in your business, is to get all your portable appliances regularly tested and tagged to ensure that they are safe to operate Jim’s Test and Tag have over 150 franchises across Australia that can visit your business to test and tag your appliances, phone 13 15 46 for more information or to arrange an appointment.





Write A Comment